Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fantastic Fest 2008 Breaks Redundant Trailer Rules:

A Fantastic Bumper Frenzy With Talented Team BLACK MAGIC ROLLERCOASTER

As the hurricane winds blow outside with a whistle at my window, I've decided to take a break and simply blog about what's happening at this year's Fantastic Fest in between the official screenings.

I've attended a few film fests in my time, and I remember sitting and waiting for features to begin, usually watching boring slides, and trailers - commercials and previews that play over, and over, and over again. If the audiences were lucky, there would be a short film before the main feature. But most of the time there was nothing really happening on the screen to reward attendees who get there on time to get a good seat and not be disruptive. 

Well, thanks to Filmmaking Frenzy, our patience through the long-suffering dullness will be rewarded. For those not familiar with this site, it's a cool way for filmmakers and film lovers to connect, thanks to Alamo Drafthouse Cinema and kind sponsors. The latest frenzy, 30-second bumpers featuring kids, advertises the filmmakers and festival. 

Audiences unfamiliar with the depth of talent in Austin get a snapshot of what makes Austin a media arts mecca - besides the music. But if you want to compare the film and music scenes, BLACK MAGIC ROLLERCOASTER is a good way to do it, because this team rocks. 

There are other amazing teams that I will mention a little later, but I got a chance to experience what it's like to work with committed filmmakers dedicated to their craft, and it challenged me to do something I thought I'd never do as an adult - act. The guys from BMRC gave me the greenlight to boast about the experience, and I'll do just that - briefly.

I watched and voted in my first Filmmaking Frenzy video in a Rewind Kindly contest sinceI knew one of the actors in BMRC's Beastmaster remake. It won first place, featuring a cute kid the camera seems to love. He's in the Jean-Claude Van Damme homage I Love You Jean-Claude... (See video at top.) Oh - and there was a dog playing the tiger in Beastmaster. "Never work with children and animals"? It does not apply to this team - they bring out the best in both. Just check out the latest Frenzy, Fantastic Fest Bumpers, and you will see what I mean. 2 of their 7 entries made the top 10, with an additional video selected for a Special Jury Prize. Winners were announced after midnight,  and I'm proud to say although the video I participated in with the team didn't win anything, it will still play at this year's festival!

Thomas Humphreys and Nick Robinson are the leaders of BLACK MAGIC ROLLERCOASTER. There are other valuable team members who contribute ideas, costumes, props, acting ability, and enthusiasm, but Humphreys and Robinson are the core of BMRC. They participate in these contests for fun, but these young ones have promising film careers. 

This summer I showed up with one of the actors for a couple of scenes, and like any director with little means but a lot of imagination, Humphreys used what he had, and asked me to read some lines. I thought I would be too nervous to perform. I dislike having my picture taken, and having a camera on me for more than a second seemed excruciating. But Humphreys and the actors present made me feel comfortable right away, and I said the lines without hesitation. Turns out, I was only in the final cut of Powder 2: Powder 2 The People (see the KTC Video Bar) for a split second, long enough to say "I want him!". What a relief!

They didn't win the grand prize in the Unnecessary Sequels contest, coming in an admirable 3rd place. But it's all about fun with filmmaking for these guys, because they produced an amazing bumper crop of seven 30-second videos for Fantastic Fest. Pun intended. 

There are other cool teams who deserve props, and got it by placing in the top 10. Here is my personal favorite, which won 4th place, Tati Ca Un Bat (Batty Daddy):

Makes you want to see which team won 1st place, doesn't it?

Go to the Filmmaking Frenzy blog to find out, and watch other fantastic bumpers before they premiere on the big screen Thursday! 

No comments: