Saturday, June 02, 2007

Free, High Quality, Uncompressed mp3s? Yip-Yip Hooray!


Yip-Yip: Either Yip 1 or Yip 2... Awthum Fetht, 18 March 2007.
Photo by Danna Marrón Williams


I couldn't resist the pun. Today I neglected to read some MySpace bulletins or post recommended shows (besides Whoopsy! Night), and nearly missed one golden bulletin from a certain Winter Park, Florida duo. I feel like a gossip columnist, but I will freely admit that I was ready to be unimpressed, even after hearing Zom Zoms brag about touring with zolo soundscape artists and friends Yip-Yip (SAF Records). I finally got to hear them live at 2007's Awthum Fetht in March (the last day of SXSW) expecting an instrumental set dull from a week of overexposure to the behemoth 5-day music fest. Instead of being unimpressed I was flabbergasted. Yip-Yip could've played for hours and I would've sat there listening to every note. "Club Mummy" stole the show - no, the festival. (No disrespect to the other bands, including ASSACRE.) Kill The Critic is not an mp3 blog, but I had to share my thoughts about Yip-Yip, and links to all 6 available downloads mentioned in the bulletin. (Not that anyone cares, but that's my lucky number, 6.) And one of these 6 free mp3s is "Club Mummy". Oh, joy! And they've got the original track and a remix of "Candy Dinner" for In The Reptile House fans. It appears that a lot of people were complaining about not being able to properly download the free MySpace downloads they offered, so the guys put their checkered heads together to come up with a great alternative. OK - less blog and more mp3 file sharing:

Club Mummy mp3

Audacity Beach mp3

Candy Dinner mp3

Candy Dinner mp3 (Casio Remix)

High Heel to Mammal III mp3

Munch Much Mush? mp3


Yip-Yip: Candy Dinner

After downloading the tracks I didn't have without any trouble, they sounded great on my iTunes player. I recommend upgrading to the latest version of your mp3 compatible player of choice, and a high-speed connection (i.e., DSL, Cable) to ensure a successful download. There should be no need to disable your firewall or other internet security software if you're using a PC.

If you're reading this and will be on vacation in Orlando, or live in the area, forget the amusement parks for a couple of hours and don't miss their next live performances with Dan Deacon (Baltimore, MD) on Saturday, June 2nd, or Melt-Banana (Tokyo, Japan) on Sunday, June 3rd. A lot of us fans in Austin, TX eagerly await Yip-Yip's return.

mp3 Rating:

(4 out of 4 Joysticks)

I'd also like to add that I really think this dynamic duo needs to score movies and video games. My Nintendo DS-addicted nephew would probably agree. After I explain to him what a joystick is, I'll play a few Yip-Yip mp3s for him so he won't think I'm a fossil.

Yip-Yip* is
Yip 1: Jason Temple
Yip 2: Brian Esser
myspace.com/yipyip

*Kill The Critic's pick for best band web site.

No comments: