Thursday, May 10, 2007


Smokey Farris - A vocalist who sings like a surrealist painter. So it's OK to laugh at his name.

Count Dracula's Weed Smuggling Jam Engine:
Funny Name, Serious Music (or, Schlotzsky's™ Craving, Anyone?)


Review: Live @ The Carousel Lounge
w/Cavedweller
Zest of Yore


Saturday April 28, 2007



(3 out of 4 bottles of Tito's Handmade Vodka. But so much fun I can't remember if it was really 4 bottles.)

Due to "creative differences" (including my ridiculously funny - or just ridiculous - "banana in a slingshot" idea for a Melt-Banana show flier) and other valid reasons, I was dismissed as "band manager" earlier this week. And it was the best thing that could've ever happened to me for two reasons: 1.) Count Dracula's Weed Smuggling Jam Engine really doesn't need to hire a manager at this point in their music career - but they do need more press and music blogs, and 2.) I should never be allowed to "manage" a band I enjoy hearing because it makes listening to the band's music less enjoyable somehow. Now I can write about the band without an ulterior motive, and listen without worrying about the band's business. I actually quit days earlier before I got the official news, but who really cares - this blog is supposed to be about a band I enjoy listening to live - and not one of the factors of a decision to focus on what I'm actually competent doing - like writing music blogs.

Now I'm tired of all the "manager" and "" business. On with the show - I mean the review...

On the last Saturday in April I decided to celebrate the fact that it was the last Saturday in April with Tito's Handmade Vodka. And it was also dubbed my early Cinco de Mayo celebration. I can't remember a lot of specifics from the show as a result of this early celebration, but from what I do remember, I really enjoyed all three performances from Cavedweller (Business Deal co-founder Dirk Michener going solo and still in Austin, TX - so it's still not too late to ask him to be my future ex-husband), Austin-based experimental quartet Count Dracula's Weed Smuggling Jam Engine, and Denton/Austin indie part-timers Zest of Yore.


Cavedweller - Sexier Standing Up

I was already on my second Cape Cod and debating whether or not to sneak a piece of someone's birthday cake when Cavedweller took the stage, or rather the floor of The Carousel. The crowd in front of me sat at a long table and was polite enough to stay through his performance. He has started this interesting habit of standing up while playing his solo sets on acoustic guitar. I have a great example of this in a photo I posted on Cavedweller's MySpace comments section. Although it seemed odd at first, I'm getting used to his stand-up routine, and found myself enjoying his performance more. He played one song that was unfamiliar to me as a new fan - "That Boy's A Hitler". Originally released on 2000's "School Boys Charm", the song has been revived on his set list and is now available for download on MySpace. On record and live, Cavedweller proves he has the octave range that can go from sexy deep to spine-tingling castrato. The set seemed too short, but he did take a request - for his sexy rocker "Eyez".

By my third Cape Cod, Count Dracula's Weed Smuggling Jam Engine had played more than a few familiar songs, and I will have to admit I don't remember exactly what they played. But the crowd was charged at the end of each song, and vocal frontman Smokey Farris was less talkative than usual between songs. The Jam Engine was running fast and smooth, and the climax of their performance was received with a warm round of applause, and a request for one more song. There were no encores, but the buzz I felt after the last song seemed more from the music than the liquor.


Stephen Pierce - Zest of Yore. I love saying the name, Zest of Yore.

This was my first attendance of a Zest of Yore performance. The headlining band's set began with three solo, mid-tempo songs performed by lead vocalist and guitarist Stephen Pierce. I was immediately impressed, although I couldn't identify any of the songs or distinguish the newer songs from the tentatively titled Quality of Life CD and 2004's Throw It At The Moon. But now that ZOY plans to spend half their time In Austin, I get the feeling I will become more familiar with their songs. I'm already a fan of "I'll Do The Thinking" from Admit That It's Christmas (You've Got To) (2003), another song currently available for download on MySpace.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Performances:

Cavedweller: June 9th @ The Mohawk (Austin, TX) w/Ryan Anderson and The Lovely Sparrows.

Jam Engine: May 25th @ Rubber Gloves Rehearsal Studio (Denton, TX) w/XBXRX and Melt-Banana - U.S. "Bambi's Dilemma"
Tour.

Zest of Yore: Go to www.zestofyore.com/livezest.html or myspace.com/zestofyore for show updates.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, it was an entertaining night, and I regret not taking notes at the performance. The pictures I did manage to take are a mess, but expect a sharper review at future shows. Starting this weekend, perhaps?

Cheryl Bliss performs at Cafe Caffeine on W. Mary St. in Austin, Saturday May 12th, and I'll be there with RadioMike.

And later that night:



Scoot Inn is located in East Austin, on 4th Street.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of transmission.

~ sayanythingrrrl

ADDENDUM:
To prove there are no hard feelings between me and the "fab four", Smokey Farris (vocalist and Business Deal Records co-founder) called me Count Dracula Weed Smuggling Jam Engine's "biggest fan" after my departure, and hopes that I will attend future shows. I'm not sure if he meant physically big, psycho stalker big, or most supportive fan big, but I assured him I would attend their shows with my usual zeal, but I would not throw bananas at the new "manager", Jam Engine guitarist and Bundyhill Recording & Post-Production Studio engineer Preston Dukes.