Friday, May 25, 2007

For Those Who Slept: 3 Shows We [Almost] Overlooked


Don't try this at home either.

So I reported the LP release party for Voxtrot at Emo's, and the Metal Mayhem fest happening at Red 7, but I feel like such a jerk - neglecting the other shows you shouldn't miss tonight. I'm overdosing on theatrical and DVD releases this weekend with my family and friends (more about that later), but I wish my favorite former co-worker at iTunes would hurry up with that Trans-Teleportation invention so I can attend more than one or two live music shows in one night. Yes, Austin is living up to it's reputation for bringing you the best live music. The competition is fierce tonight, but we're not supposed to call it a competition. You can't lose with these three "sleepers", no matter where you go this holiday weekend.

#1: The Mary Timony Band, LaLaLand, and Horse+donkey @ Club DeVille




Mary Timony: File under "Indie Rock Legends"

Mary Timony (of Autoclave and Helium fame) is touring the U.S. with her band and making a stop at one of my favorite places for amazing "sleeper" shows. Club DeVille is the same place where I heard Heartless Bastards for the charming third time, before they became a buzz band. Mary Timony is releasing her songs with Kill Rock Stars, a label known for having an ear for music that is avant-garde and avoids being trendy, nevertheless pleasurable. LaLaLand had me convinced it was a lackadaisical band from California. But it turns out they're indie rock slackers from right here in Austin, TX. One of my local favorites, Horse+donkey, opens the show with stunning psychedelic rock that will take you places you've never been. I just had a crazy thought. What if Horse+donkey's first album (now in progress) was released on Kill Rock Stars?

Club DeVille
900 Red River
Austin, TX
Doors: 9:00 pm
Show: 10:00 pm
21+ (?)/Cover (?)

#2: Tonight in the Emo's Lounge, Tune In and Drop Out with Cavedweller


I had an Indian Jewelry flashback with this re-designed Business Deal flyer. (Props to "Bobcat" and "Pops".)



At the moment I feel like a journalist writing about Tori Amos performing in an airport lounge way back when. I am a biased fan of Cavedweller's music. Music which could immediately be compared to Devendra Banhart. But let's give the man a chance. Performing live since the mid 1990s, Cavedweller (a.k.a. Dirk Michener) has a gift for imaginative songwriting and a voice with an octave range that will make you wonder why he never trained for the opera. Sometimes he performs with a band, sometimes he doesn't. Who cares? See him open for local indie folk rockers Cartright (more about them at a later date), and The Willowz, an amazing folk rock band from California on a limited tour that touts the newly released CHAUTAUQUA (Dim Mak). A little movie soundtrack trivia: The Willowz have a song featured in the soundtrack "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Yeah, I had to bring it back to movies. If you miss the show, check out The Willowz album and Cavedweller's psychedelic touch in his latest release, The Best Version of 'Gloria" Ever There Was (Business Deal).

Emo's Lounge
603 Red River
Austin, TX
All Ages/$5-10 (?)

#3: Music at The Parlor with MrandMrsMays, The Dirty Hearts, and Manager's Choice


The Parlor: Family Owned Pizza, Beer, and Live Music Joint Since 2000.


I won't bore you with a lot of details about this one. I just learned that Manager's Choice is playing a short set to open the show. One hot band on the scene, The Dirty Hearts, is playing tonight - and it's a birthday performance by Misti Watkins (also of Mr. Lewis and The Funeral Five) And Sometimes I disappointment myself. I pride myself on knowing about most of the popular locally based bands with punk sensibilities. MrandMrsMays is not one of these bands. I visited their MySpace profile for the first time today, and got goosebumps. So don't sleep on the Mr. and Mrs. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll do more live shows this summer. The Secret Weapons may still be playing, so get there early - 8:30?

The Parlor
100-B E North Loop
Austin, TX
8:30 pm
All Ages/No Cover

And that's all she wrote. Have a great and safe Memorial Day weekend - no matter where you go and what you do.

No comments: