Friday, May 18, 2007



Saturday Night Beatdown: Manager's Choice Opens for Rescue Mission and Cassette, May 19th @ Emo's

I mentioned Chaos In Tejas earlier this week in the Daily Fix for the ATX, but if you're in Austin this weekend and in the mood to master the robot while you rock, I highly recommend catching this show at Emo's Lounge this Saturday. Manager's Choice is Austin's own New Wave 'n' Reggae band that will have you moving and spazzing out - just a little bit. I won't bore you with wordy comparisons to The B-52's, Talking Heads, The English Beat, etc... But I will state this: Manager's Choice is my choice for a party. And when I listen carefully I hear something amusing, intelligent and subversive all at once. My kind of party - with a "Galactic Suckerpunch".



Rescue Mission appears to be quite proficient in channeling the best of the 80s. I will dare to compare them to Simple Minds. No, it's not an insult, but a compliment. It's that song that I enjoy hearing so much on their MySpace page - "Among The Trials" - that reminds me of The Breakfast Club "theme song". You know the one... (Hey, at least I didn't compare them to Blue October). I want to dress in black and wear eyeliner just to hear them.



Now about Cassette... I wonder why they don't have thousands of adoring fans. Maybe it's the name that puts the young hipsters off. Although I wasn't immediately impressed by my first listen (you can download four tracks for free on MySpace), by my second listen, I was hoping that by the time the LP drops, I won't be the toothless soothsayer. Until then, the kids are alright with me. Check them out Saturday. I'm not sure about the cover charge, but it should be less than the cost of parking downtown.

Emo's (Lounge)
10:00 pm
All Ages/Cover $?
603 Red River
Austin, TX