Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Daily Fix in The ATX: Urban/Folk Music?



Singer/Songwriter Suzanna Choffel May Surprise You Tonight @ Momo's

I'm finally going to admit something that's bothered me for a long time: I find most singer/songwriters who play solo sets with just a microphone and a guitar almost as boring as that guy making music with his laptop in front of a large audience. (That boring!) But one night, over a year ago I heard singer/songwriter Suzanna Choffel perform at Writers Who Rock, a Tuesday evening showcase hosted and booked by Melissa Mullins. Choffel's voice rang out with soulful - and dare I mention this - sexy assurance, and I've been a fan of hers ever since.



Suzanna Choffel seems comfortable with so many different music genres, performing with Hip Hop collective The Word Association's Omari Kamau, flying solo with her blend of folk and urban/street influences, or jamming with a band that compliments her urban meets folk voice and musical arrangements. You can hear elements of R&B, folk, rock, and jazz in her sound that meld into a unique sound that is comfortable headlining an intimate lounge setting, or opening the show at a stadium packed with a rowdy crowd ready to rock. Tonight Ms. Choffel shudders and rings with her Tip-Top Band at Momos - 9:15, after Kacy Crowley graces the stage at 8:00. I recommend hanging out and listening for a few hours too. You can thank me later.

Momos (Above Katz's)
618 W 6th St.
Austin, TX
$5/18+

No comments: